After reading here and here about the joys ("I can sew through three layers of leather with my eyes closed") of their new machines, my 14 year old 5806 Singer was starting to feel like a clunker. After years of yarn purchases (and now fabric) a brand new sewing machine could not be justified.
Armed with resource books from the library, I attempted at a self tune-up. After cleaning all the gunk and dust balls with a fabric wrapped screwdriver, I lubricated with some machine oil (here is the $1.99 part) where metal parts came together as indicated by my manual.
During the process, I found a spring (see above picture) but have absolutely no idea where it goes! I keep putting it inside hoping it will reattach itself somewhere :)
This may be old news to a lot of you...but my little Singer works like a dream now! I feels like butter when I sew -- every stitch seems to glide, even the heavyweighted fabrics go easier now. Instead of discontentment, I have late night sewing jags because I cannot stop!
So for the time being my Bernina internet research has ceased (at least until the next tune-up).
Also, I need a few more reasons why I decided not to buy a 1970's industrial Bernina for $60 to go with these:
1) I'm a fool.
2) There was no manual.
3) There were no attachments.
4) I'm a fool.
Thank you everyone for the kind comments on the tutorial -- I would love to see pictures of the finished products!