Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Back in the saddle again: blogging and knitting

My short hiatus due to family illnesses and vacationing ended up longer than initially anticipated...but I'm back again :)

A few years ago I rediscovered knitting and began an obsession (boxes of yarn, every needle size in both straights and circular, a library of knitting books and patters) resulting in over 40 sweaters and cardis, 50 scarves, and 35 baby hats in a two year period. Then I rediscovered sewing, and my knitting needles laid dormant for intensive projects for over a year. But lately, interest began emerging and I began sketching ideas for sweaters (I would love a lacey yoked cardi in blue) and reading up on sock knitting (never attempted).

Here is my first clothing project in a long time: a top down short sleeve shrug for my youngest. It's made from TLC's cotton acrylic blend in a soft baby pink. It has a nice rayon-y sheen and drape that holds up with machine washing.
I'm a little rusty...I completely forgot to knit the seed stitch neck band (oh well, I can always pick up stitches for it later which will give it a stronger seam) and add short row shaping to the back to prevent it from riding up (again, I'll add it in with the neck band).

Top down knitting is my favorite method -- armed with the gauge and neck measurements, one can just knit and increase until it's the right size.

0 comments: